Commissioner - District of Columbia Public Service Commission
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Senior Executive
Method of Appointment: Appointed by Mayor, confirmed by Council
2022 Appointments: 1
Length of Appointment: 4 year term / and completing term ending June 30, 2022
Residency: Requires DC residency for 3 years prior to application
Paid board: $155 - $175K
The Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia (PSC) was originally established by Congress in 1913 and was reaffirmed by Congress as an independent agency of the District of Columbia Government in the District of Columbia Home Rule Charter in 1973. The PSC functions as an independent, quasi-judicial agency in the District of Columbia Government.
The mission of the PSC is to serve the public interest by ensuring that financially healthy electric, natural gas, and telecommunications companies provide safe, reliable, and quality services at reasonable rates for District of Columbia residential, business, and government customers. The function of the Public Service Commission is to insure that every public utility doing business within the District of Columbia furnishes service and facilities reasonably safe and adequate and in all respects. The Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia’s mission is to serve the public interest by ensuring that financially healthy electric, natural gas and telecommunications companies provide safe, reliable and quality utility services at reasonable rates for District of Columbia residential, business and government customers.
PSC accomplishes this goal by:
- Motivating customer– and results–oriented employees
- Protecting consumers to ensure public safety, reliability, and quality services
- Regulating monopoly services to ensure their rates are just and reasonable
- Fostering fair and open competition among service providers
- Conserving natural resources and preserving environmental quality
- Resolving disputes among consumers and service providers
- Educating consumers and informing the public
For more information about the PSC, please visit here:
The Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia shall be composed of 3 commissioners appointed by the Mayor by and with the advice and consent of the Council. In 2018, Mayor Bowser will make 1 appointment to the Public Service Commission, and hence we are seeking a qualified district residents for appointment. This appointment will fill the remainder of a term to expire June 30, 2022.
Candidates must have direct related work experience, a mastery of issues / decisions made by PSC and direct experience in adjudication or litigation.
Failure to meet at least three factors below will likely disqualify your candidacy:
- For a period of at least 3 years before appointment, been a bonafide resident of the District of Columbia.
- Have a minimum of 5 years direct experience in leadership, policy, management and regulation of major infrastructure projects, public utilities, natural resources, or environmental quality.
- Have experience in administrative law or a closely related field that demonstrates skills in adjudication.
- Have strong knowledge and understanding of the issues and cases appearing before the Commission, including rate setting, utility distribution.
- Have knowledge and expertise in one or more of the utilities regulated by the Commission.
To be eligible, candidate may not:
- For a period of one year preceding appointment, directly or indirectly interested in any public utility or other entity appearing before the Commission or in any stock, bond, mortgage, security, or contract of any public utility or entity, except for stocks that are part of a publicly listed mutual fund other than a utility-focused mutual fund.
- For a period of 5 years preceding appointment, personally served as an officer, director, owner, manager, partner, or legal representative of a public utility, affiliate, or direct competitor of a public utility.
- For a period of at least 3 years, must not have claimed residency elsewhere preceding consideration of appointment
If interested in this appointment please apply by completing this application and attaching required documents.