Correspondence Management Specialist - Mayor's Correspondence Unit
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Mayor's Correspondence Unit
Open Date: December 6, 2021
Closing Date: December 20, 2021
Salary/Grade: Excepted Service Grade 5 - salary will be $63,566
Current District of Columbia residents will receive priority and advanced preference for screening and interviews.
COVID-19 Vaccination: All employees of the District of Columbia must be vaccinated against the Coronavirus disease 2019 (SARS-CoV-2) as a condition of employment.
There is a legal requirement that each new appointee to the Excepted Service either: (1) be domiciled in the District of Columbia at the time of appointment; or (2) establish District domicile within one hundred eighty (180) days of appointment. The law also requires that Excepted Service employees maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment. Failure to maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment will result in forfeiture of employment.
This position is located in the Mayor's Correspondence Unit. The Correspondence Management Specialist a key staff member tasked with advancing the Office's mission by developing and implementing the office's strategic communication, and engaging efforts for the Mayor's Correspondence Unit.
- Develops and utilizes a variety of communication modalities to inform, involve and engage stakeholders in the Mayor's mission, values and programs.
- Monitors and responds to official correspondence received by the Office of the Mayor, including electronic and offline.
- Responsible for supporting the development of, and review, as necessary, of cluster agency communications materials, including memos and press releases, intended for dissemination around mayoral priorities and events.
- Analyzes incoming communications and makes recommendations, and advises the Correspondence Officer,, Deputy Chief of Staff, and other senior leaders on issues regarding the perceptions and reactions of the public, special interests, the Mayor's Office, and cluster agencies' programs and activities.
- Evaluates communication efforts and achievements, and recommends appropriate modifications; supports the execution of a strategic communications and community engagement plan.
- Responds to constituent related matters.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Thorough knowledge of the mission, goals, policies, and strategic plan of the Mayor's Communications Office's policies for all of its programs, as well as the Mayor's established and accepted city-wide customer service standards and practices required to effectively, accurately and expeditiously meet agency objectives.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of communications; and skill in developing strategies to disseminate information.
- Thorough knowledge of research, writing, editing, and proofreading skills are required. Thorough knowledge to interpret and explain a variety of subjects; and to edit materials tailored to specific audiences.
- Analytical, strategic and creative skills to develop and implement public outreach programs; and skill in developing strategies to disseminate information.
- Ability to effectively develop, organize, and present ideas and concepts to diverse groups, including government officials, journalists, analysts, and District residents.
- Excellent writing, verbal and presentation skills. Strong, persuasive, compelling and engaging writing skills, in order to convey information concerning complex programs and functions to the public;having diverse levels of understanding of the agency's programs and activities.
- Strong computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel software programs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, business administration, graphic design or related field.
- Four (4) years of experience directly related to the position.
- Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position and has equipped the individual with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.