Associate Director - Mayor's Office on Caribbean Community Affairs (MOCCA)
POSITION: Associate Director
OPEN: January 12, 2023
REVISED: Open until filled
SALARY RANGE/GRADE: Excepted Service ES5, ($57,963 to $86,945)
District law requires that each new appointee to the Excepted and Executive Service either: (1) be domiciled in the District of Columbia at the time of appointment; or (2) establish District domicile within one hundred eighty (180) days of appointment. The law also requires that Excepted and Executive Service employees maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment. Failure to maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment will result in forfeiture of employment.
The Mayor’s Office on Caribbean Community Affairs (MOCCA) seeks to engage the extraordinarily diverse culture of the Caribbean community in the District of Columbia. MOCCA works to empower these residents through equipping them with the government resources and services that they need while also providing programmatic support to each facet of the community.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Associate Director shall:
- Working with the Director, serve as an advocate for the needs of the District's Caribbean community, as those needs relate to housing, health, education, employment, social services, public safety, and expanding business opportunities;
- Working with the Director, help lead outreach and engagement activities to involve the District's Caribbean community in programs, services and other offerings.
- Working with the director, serve as a liaison between the MOCCA and community-based organizations, faith based organizations and the private sector.
- Working with the Director, provide information and technical assistance on programs and services for the Caribbean community to the Mayor, the Council, Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, other District government agencies, and the community;
- Working with the Director, facilitate meetings and engagements with the Mayor's Advisory Committee on Caribbean Community Affairs.
- Working with the Director, prepare an annual report on the operations of the MOCCA based on the previous fiscal year;
- Working with the Director, identify areas for service improvement and make recommendations to the Mayor and MACCCA for improving services; and
MINIMUM BACKGROUND AND REQUIREMENTS
- Direct personal and/or professional relationships working with the District's Caribbean community.
- Strong background in public policy, community organizing, and constituent engagement.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the constituent, programs and services provide by and for residents of the District of Columbia.
- Demonstrated organizational and strategic leadership.
- Strong and demonstrated knowledge of the District's government and private sector groups such as civic organizations and ANC's with direct connections/engagement to each.
- Knowledge and understanding of the District's residents and neighborhood business representatives with demonstrated past experience in linking citizen involvement groups to the District government.
COVID-19 PREVENTION POLICY
The Government of the District of Columbia values the safety of our employees, our residents, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to your initial HR representative, or you must request an exemption from your representative. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption by the hiring agency before working with the Government of the District of Columbia.
If you're interested in making a fresh start and helping to lead our plans to engage and empower African-Americans throughout the District, please submit your resume and complete the questionairre. Letters of support are not required and will not impact the hiring process.