Associate Director - Mayor's Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA)
POSITION: Associate Director
DEPARTMENT/AGENCY: Mayor's Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA)
OPEN: September 12, 2023
CLOSE: Open Until Filled
SALARY/GRADE: E6 $83,698
Mayor Bowser established the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA) to conduct aggressive outreach and engagement to identify energetic community and business professionals to fill critical appointed roles in District government. This includes members 240 appointed staff positions in the Mayor’s cabinet, including executive and independent agency directors, senior leadership / policy positions and over 1,700 appointees to District of Columbia boards and commissions. Associate Directors lead recruitment and placement engagements are aligned with current Deputy Mayor clusters (economic development, education, health and human services, internal services, operations and infrastructure, and public safety. The ideal candidate enjoys both engagement (potential applicants) and processes (drafting numerous documents and managing database systems).
- Serve as an HR advisor, leading recruitment of appointed positions in assigned cluster - including posting positions, reviewing incoming resumes, engaging with applicants and managing interview processes.
- Interpret, analyze, and apply qualification standards, position requirements, job analysis, and evaluation plans.
- Determines qualification requirements for all levels of jobs, including nonsupervisory, supervisory and
- Prepares position vacancy announcements for appointed positions and boards and commissions, in collaboration with the manager, supervisor or other senior level staff, comparing the vacancy announcements with the position descriptions.
- Reviews vacancy announcements for quality and accuracy to appointed roles. In conjunction with the hiring manager, board administrator or other staff, assures that position vacancies are posted in the appropriate media, including newspapers, list serves, and websites.
- Serve as an HR advisor in managing a portfolio of 45-55 boards and commissions, including recruitment and placement of appointees and engaging with board administrators.
- Draft appointment documentation, including Mayor's Orders and legislative resolutions.
- Participate in speaking engagements, panels, lectures to further the Office’s mission and reach
- Analyzes data to identify and recommend priorities to develop, direct, and organize work-plans.
- Coordinates services among District agencies to ensure timely responses to appointee concerns and ensure vacancies and expiring terms are filled efficiently.
COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Highly organized and methodical; Innovative with strong critical thinking abilities
- Able to work well under pressure and meet tough deadlines in a fast paced, demanding environment
- Constituent focused; positive outlook; strong people skills
- Strong writing, research and editing capabilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences including senior government officials.
- Ability to organize and manage projects; to review, analyze, and evaluate data; and to prepare analytical reports.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, and to utilize tact and persuasion in gaining acceptance of the program views.
- Minimum of two years working in public policy, community engagement or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in technical writing preferred.
- Demonstrated experience or interest in Human Resources preferred.
There is a legal requirement that each new appointee to the Excepted Service either: (1) be domiciled in the District of Columbia at the time of appointment; or (2) establish District domicile within one hundred eighty (180) days of appointment. The law also requires that Excepted Service employees maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment. Failure to maintain District domicile during the period of the appointment will result in forfeiture of employment.
If you are a resident of the District of Columbia and interested in this role, please upload your resume and answer the questionnaire. Only the candidates deemed most suited for the position based on resume will receive a call to schedule further discussion.
To be considered for the position, please answer the required question and attach required credentials, including resume.