Community Outreach Specialist (Bilingual) - Mayor's Office on Latino Affairs
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Mayor's Office on Latino Affairs
COMMUNITY OUTREACH SPECIALIST (Bilingual)
Open Date: January 6, 2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
SALARY RANGE/GRADE: Career Service, CS 11, Step 1 ($62,751)
COVID-19 Vaccination: All employees of the District of Columbia must be vaccinated against the Coronavirus disease 2019 (SARS-CoV-2) as a condition of employment.
MAYOR’S OFFICE ON LATINO AFFAIRS (MOLA)
The Bowser Administration seeks an energetic and qualified candidate to serve as the Community Outreach Specialist of the Mayor’s Office of Latino Affairs (MOLA) in the Executive Office of the Mayor. The mission of MOLA is to ensure that the Latino community has full access to quality health, education, employment, and social services in the District of Columbia (D.C). The position is responsible for working with Latino residents at community and non-governmental facilities to provide information, referrals and assistance in the areas of health, housing, economic development, education, and employment. The work supports MOLA in advancing the District's strategic plan; and contributing to the improvement of the quality of life for Latino residents of our nation's capital by working with D.C. Government agencies and community-based organizations to fulfill the mandate of MOLA.
The incumbent is responsible for managing the creation and implementation of a strategic approach for the Mayor and the District of Columbia to engage, empower, and improve the quality of life for Latino constituents while integrating the interests of all key stakeholders. This includes implementation of policy and programs which provide resources to ensure that full range health, education, employment and social services are made available to the Latino residents of the District of Columbia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts community outreach studies, analyze and make recommendations to improve the program's effectiveness. Coordinates the implementation of projects assigned by the Director related to the following issue areas: Health, Housing, Economic Development, Education, and Employment, Food Insecurity, Arts and Creative Economy, and Public Safety.
- Provides critical analyses and evaluation of actual or potential effectiveness of current and/or projected program activities. Provides technical assistance in the development and implementation of improved program operation. Reviews and analyzes planning and operational activities of program areas administered by MOLA.
- Participates in the formulation and facilitation of outreach strategies to the public, in order to improve the effectiveness of MOLA program activities. Provides program and technical assistance to the general public on matters related to the activities.
- Serves as advisor to the various committees for planning and scheduling; and acts as a liaison between government agencies and/or the community.
- Advocates for Latino constituency in issues related to employment, education, housing, health and economic development. Provides referrals to D.C. agencies and community-based organizations when necessary. Advocates on behalf of the Latino community within the government structure by addressing a wide range of staffing, funding, and policy issues that affect both the availability and quality of services to the Latino community.
- Represents the agency by attending a wide range of community activities as assigned,
including, but not limited to community conferences and planning meetings, Advisory
Neighborhood Council meetings, neighborhood organization meetings, etc.
- Coordinates and participates in a number of community outreach activities to include, but not limited to, meetings, workshops, activities, etc. Coordinates schedule for community education outreach activities.
- Plans and outlines community education programs. Trains and coordinates volunteers. Provides staff support, technical advice, project direction and assistance to the community and community-based organizations.
- Compiles information for the supervisor in preparation for meetings and conferences.
- Attends Intra-District and community meetings.
- Knowledge of the Office of Latino Affairs' mission, goals, objectives, governing laws, and
established policies. Familiarity with community-based agencies and organizations serving the
- Knowledge and skill in applying analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to issues
concerning the efficiency and effectiveness of community outreach operations. Ability to work
and coordinate multiple projects independently or in a team-oriented environment. Knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and required formats, legal and non-legal in Spanish and
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with diverse political and cultural entities, in
order to achieve goals. Excellent oral and written communication skills both in English and
Spanish. Fluent in Spanish and English.
- Skill and ability to operate automated systems, to include work-processing equipment or other
software packages that accompany the computer equipment.
Experience in working with people representing a wide range of linguistic, ethnic and racial
groups in community-based or neighborhood organizations.
- Incumbent must be able to fluently speak and write in both Spanish and English.